NEW ORLEANS AREA PIPE ORGANS AND THEIR HISTORIES

A service of the Steeple Chasers at www.neworleanschurches.com
and the New Orleans Chapter of the Organ Historical Society

MANUFACTURER: SCHWAB / SCHUELKE
OPUS NUMBER: 216
YEAR BUILT: 1857 with modifications by Wm. Schuelke in 1910
   
ORIGINAL LOCATION:

St. Alphonsus R.C. Church, Constance Street, New Orleans

   
RELOCATION 1:  
   
RELOCATION 2:  
   
RELOCATION 3:  
   
FINAL DISPOSITION: Case remains. Schuelke replaced or modified Schwab organ in 1910. Organ abandoned in 1960's because of cone valve failure.
   
A PICTURE OF THIS ORGAN EXISTS IN OUR FILES:
(Click highlighted "YES" to view.
 
   
NOTES SUPPLIED BY OTHERS:
Note by Roy Redman: "Whether either of the Schuelke rebuilds were upgrades may be debatable. Both those organs were originally trackers with slider chests. Although St Mary's with membrane chests is still working, St. Alphonsus, with cone valve chests, failed many years ago and caused the organ's demise. We salvaged some ranks of pipes from the balcony around the organ after it had been dismantled for many years. This was in return for providing some replacement ranks for St. Mary's. a 32' Bourdon from St. Alphonsus is now playing in St. Vincent's Episcopal cathedral in Bedford, TX."
   
SPECIFICATION:  
   
OTHER INFO:  
   

This page is a service of www.neworleanschurches.com
and the New Orleans Chapter of the Organ Historical Society